Two public primary schoolchildren have allegedly died from complications in the ongoing deworming exercise embarked upon by the Ogun State Government.
The duo – Omolaso Keyede (aged 8, primary two) and Eniola Oyeyemi (aged 9, primary 4) who were pupils of St James African Church Nursery and Primary School, Idi – Ape, Abeokuta, died after reported hours of stooling and vomiting.
It was gathered that they had taken deworming drugs during the school hours on Tuesday only to fall ill in the evening.
One of the pupils was rushed to a private hospital, Apata – Iye Clinic and Maternity Hospital, Odo Oyo, in the state capital where she was confirmed dead while the second pupil was equally taken to same hospital few minutes later and was declared dead on arrival.
The pupils hailed from the same neighborhood at Ademola Street, opposite African Church, Idiape, which is a stone-thrown from the school they attended.
This development has sparked off speculations that the deaths may have been as a result of the administration of the drug, a situation the state Commissioner for Health, Dr Tomi Coker has dismissed saying that the drug is not poisonous.